Sunday, January 31, 2010

Learn - Plan - Do

What steps are necessary to transition from the UK to the USA? What will it take to purchase a piece of property on which a sustainable agriculture enterprise can be built? What sequences are necessary to observe in this whole endeavor?

These are but a few of the questions Cookie and I have been asking ourselves lately. We realize we have embarked upon a discipline about which we are only minimally acquainted. So the first thing we have to do is LEARN as much as we can from wherever we happen to be. That means making the most of the time we have today even though we do not yet own a farm.

We have chosen to take several practical steps along the road to acquiring knowledge. The first is lots of reading. Here are SOME of the books and periodicals I've found most helpful in these 'early stages' of the journey:

Books:
"You Can Farm" by Joel Salatin - An absolutely essential primer for the beginning farmer. I'm not in 100% agreement with Salatin's approach but at least now I have an idea of the philosophy behind that approach and how & why I might chose to do sustainable farming differently.

"Making Your Small Farm Profitable" by Ron Macher - Again an indispensable tool for the beginner. I found Macher's material to be very practical and thus, very helpful. He has several helpful charts and diagrams which illustrate the basic steps to setting up a small farm. He also references many studies and publications which I have found to be excellent for on-going study.

Course:
I've enrolled in a "bee-keeping for beginners" course here in the UK. I'm anticipating that this hands on training will give me what I need to start an apiary as soon as we move to Virginia. Of course one of the key elements of learning is doing. I hope to get my hands dirty (actually, sticky) and rub shoulders with experienced bee-keepers.

Periodicals:
"Hobby Farms" I'm somewhat disappointed in the magazine. The articles just scratch the surface; not going deep enough for the practitioner. On the positive side, the introductory material points me to further reading if I am interested. I will not be renewing my subscription to this magazine.

"Acres USA" - Now here's a magazine that I have been able to sink my teeth into and get a belly full from! Packed with relevant, informed and well written articles, this magazine features the latest in eco-friendly agriculture. It serves as the gateway to a treasure trove of publications; tapes, DVDs, conferences, etc. Well worth the subscription price.

Again, these are but a few of the tools I've begun to access during this stage of the journey. As I gain confidence and experience blogging, I'll post links to each of the above and along with links to additional resources.

All for now...

--Jeb

No comments: