I've intentionally taken a hiatus from posting on this blog as I don't want to become consumed by the needs of the farm; at least not yet. But now the hiatus is over. Time to get on with the task at hand even if the today's task is simply preparing to purchase, reside on and farm the land.
We have been thinking about doing this for some time. With my physical symptoms worsening (from MS), we have made the tough decision to reduce my work load and accept a more sedentary, less stressful living environment. "Tough decision" is putting it mildly. I have personally agonized over this and continue to do so.
So the questions of "What if...?" and "Why?" have already been answered. The questions of "Where?" and "When?" are the ones we have been wrestling with for some time. Finally, I think we have answered both and are ready to put "hand to plow" so to speak.
Where?
We have made an offer on a small farm in Nottoway County, Virginia. Formerly a tobacco farm it now has pine (timber), soy beans and other cultivated crops. Measuring about 150 acres in total, our offer is to purchase about 54 acres. Included in the 54 acres is a simple farm house, two tobacco drying barns, one tobacco pack house and a couple other 'equipment' barns. It has about 18 acres of pine, five acres of hardwoods, a good spring, steady creek and plenty of road frontage on a state maintained road.
When?
This has also been a tough question to answer. We love our community here (in the UK) but we now know the realities of how this disease affects me.
"OK... wait a minute. I thought you said you have MS. What are you thinking about moving to a farm for? Won't the physical activity required to live on a farm aggrevate your symptoms?" So you would think. Actually, I have found that the MORE physical work I do the BETTER I feel. Conversely, the more I do brain type work (teaching, writing emails, participating in heavy meetings, etc.) the worse my symptoms. There are limits to this axiom but basically that is how things work for me.
So, "When?" We are looking to relocate sometime in the autumn of 2010.
While I am looking forward to being on the farm, we won't start "farming" for some time. Cookie and I will still be working our regular jobs with some adjustments for me like, I won't be travelling much... but I'll will be in regular contact with those I oversee. (I'll be the one driving a tractor in Nottoway County with a laptop in my hands and headphones on my ears!)
So here we go! The beginning of this blog marks the start of a long and probably difficult journey for us. But it is a step I am soooo looking forward to taking!
--Jeff (Jeb) & Cookie
No comments:
Post a Comment