As we continue to gain as much knowledge and experience before we actually purchase and move to the farm, I thought I would pass along a couple tips on some GREAT resources.
Our farm has several acres of trees. Some, approximately 15 acres, is purpose-planted pine (loblolly I believe). Then there is about 8 acres in hardwoods. In my effort to learn as much as I can about managing this resource, I've come across a GREAT web site http://www.forestryforum.com. This site has virtually everything you need to know about trees, timber, lumber, equipment, etc. The members are very knowledgeable and eager to help neophytes like me! I've already posted a couple queries and each has been responded to quickly, thoroughly and politely. They didn't make me feel like an idiot even though I'm sure I asked some pretty basic questions.
Another site is http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/homedairygoats/. As the name suggests, this one is all about raising dairy goats. I signed up to receive their postings via email and I have been very impressed with the practical, helpful and FREE advice these goat enthusiasts give one another. I'm sure many a farmer or hobbiest has saved a few dollars by posting a problem here rather than calling for a vet.
Looking forward to putting these sites to the test; in the field!!
--Jeb
1 comment:
Farmer Jeb? Is that your real name?
Rodericky
Post a Comment