I've just completed my introductory course on beekeeping. Very interesting and helpful. There is so much to learn about this fascinating topic. I've only just begun to scratch the surface.
Soon, I'll be able to put my newly acquired knowledge to practical use. At this point I plan to set up a hive in the back corner of one of our fields. Thus keeping most of the bee activity away from the house and away from humans. In order to give the bees an adequate food source, I plan to plant several trees (e.g. lime), some hearty flowering shrubs and plenty of flowers thus providing the bees with a nectar rich environment in which to thrive.
There remains much to learn. I'm a little nervous about how my newly acquired knowledge will transfer from the British way of doing things to the American. One of my brothers was kind enough to give me the contact information for a friend who is an expert beekeeper in Virginia. I'll be leaning on him quite a bit as I begin. Thanks Scott!
This past week the surveyor was to have completed his work on surveying the farm. This is the first hurdle in the long process of dividing the existing farm (which is currently 150 acres in size) in half (roughly) so that we can purchase the part we want (and can afford) which is about 55 acres in size. We hope and pray that the survey is complete and we can now start making REAL progress toward closing this deal.
This whole endeavor is the Lord's so we are patiently waiting for His will to be done on this beautiful piece of ground.
--Jeb
1 comment:
I have thought about bees too. My dad kept bees for a long time. He even has all the clothing hanging in his garage! Hmmmm, maybe it's time and then we can compare our fun and stings!
Good luck with the closing, 55 acres is a lot! (he says with envy :) )
Post a Comment