I've come to realize that blogging requires discipline. DUH! Without discipline, a blog will parish. So, I hope to chart a new course in 2012...one which includes a more disciplined approach to communicating about our new life on the farm.
Instead of going back and trying to report about things that have happened over the past six months, I think it best to just jump in and report about life during these past few days.
Today it is VERY cold and windy. So windy that the door to the container blew open. That isn't really a big deal but the gate to the goat pen is secured to the door when it is in the closed position. Well, needless to say, as the door blew open the gate opened with it and Ethel & Lucy got out and helped themselves to the stock pile of candy which is stored in the container. On the positive side, our new dog, Coal, alerted us to the rambling goats! He noticed that the goats were out and roaming freely so he barked and barked until Cookie and Cara corralled them back into the pen.
Speaking of Coal, he was a VERY special gift to me from Cookie. Six month old, black lab with an excellent disposition. Here's a shot of him.
Yesterday I went outside to check on the bees and goats. When I came upon my bee hive I was stunned and saddened to see that it had been destroyed by a black bear. I immediately called my bee mentor and he came over right away. We did what we could to salvage what few bees remained but he and I both think the hive is a total loss.
The bear apparently came up the path from the creek which is only about 100 yards from the hive. My mentor has encouraged me to relocate the hive to a spot further away from the creek. Hopefully 2012 will be a better year for bees at Restoration Farm.
All for now,
--Jeff
1 comment:
Great to have you back! Coal looks a gorgeous dog, and already getting the hang of things there it seems :)
Yikes, didn't realise you had bears there!! Hoping the bees will survive better in their new location.
Happy New Year Restoration Farm!!
Love, Lav.
Post a Comment