As winter continues to avoid us (it has been a very mild winter so far) we are trying to apply ourselves to those tasks necessary to prepare for the upcoming spring planting and harvesting season. One such task is pruning.
Restoration Farm is an old tobacco farm and as far as we have been able to discern there are only two fruit trees on the entire property; one apple and one pear. This past week I worked at pruning the apple tree. It was all over grown with wild grape vine entangled in the branches. This tree has a rather interesting history as it was struck by lightening some years ago and split right down the middle. None-the-less it continued to bear sweet old-style apples. I took the chain saw to it this past week and took out maybe 2/3rds of this rustic old tree. I'll post some pictures of the before and after. Hopefully, my pruning will result in fruit that remains.
The pear tree is a different matter. I took a long look at this old beauty and couldn't quit bring myself to hack away at it's limbs. Perhaps I'll must up the courage another day.
Until next time.
--Jeb
No comments:
Post a Comment