Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Experimenting With Links

As you can see, I've been doing some experimenting with links. I'm amazed at the sheer volume of information available to the 21st century farmer AND all the ways one can link and network through that information. Fascinating. I could spend my all my 'farm time' reading, chatting and blogging about farming. Not to mention the time I could spend playing AT farming. The internet is both an incredible resource and a profound distraction!

With that caveat, I have found several good blogs and sites that help point me to inspirationally practical information. Two of the better sites are:
http://georgiafarmwoman.blogspot.com/
http://virginiaisforlykoshes.blogspot.com/

Each has its own quality and offers a different view on the enterprise of farming. virginiaisforlykoshes is a very well written (usually) daily account of a family taking on farming from the ground up. Literally! They have purchased a few acres in Virginia and are building a new life from scratch. No house (structure) or other permanent structures, home schooling their kids, etc. Amy, the wife and mother, is the writer in the household and she does a great job of telling the story of farming from a newbie's point of view. I guess I'm attracted to this vantage point since I am a newbie myself.

georgiafarmwoman is a glimpse into the life of a much more established farm. The photography is excellent and the way different details of seemingly 'normal' aspects of farming are portrayed is refreshing. My favorite bit: the water wheel. Farmwoman does a great job of capturing both the dream and the work of building and installing the wheel. I also appreciate how Farmwoman describes and lauds Farmman. Nice to see.


Here's a picture of one of the barns at the farm. This is a hand-hewn tobacco barn. Probably built about 100 years ago. One of the first things I hope to do is restore and preserve this structure.

Thanks for joining us on this journey!

--Jeb

No comments: