Monday, June 6, 2011

Irrigation Solutions

Today I had a visit from a represntitive of the US Department of Agriculture. I had arranged this visit some months ago. The purpose: to evaluate my "springs" to determine if they can sustain a drip irrigation system for 40 acres of berry production.

I was very impressed with this man. He took a lot of time with me; walking all over the farm, including trekking through 'fields' of poison ivy. When it was all done he said what I thought were 'springs' are not likely to be that. However, when we walked down to the area of the creek, he indicated that to dam the creek would be a relatively easy task and would more than adequately meet the farm's irrigation needs. GREAT! Now all I have to do is check with the Army Corp of Engineers and get their approval for a 'small' (1 - 2 acre) pond. Although the likely price tag for this venture is in the 10's of thousands of dollars, it will be good to get the necessary permissions for this project. In the meantime, we'll see what can be done with a "simple pool" of water created by a few timbers placed across the stream constricting the flow just enough.

Interestingly, as we were walking back from the the back field, we were right next to the house and Dennis (the USDAg guy) grabbed by the arm and pointed out a deer that was standing right next to my house! Wow. Never seen a deer up that close to the house before. Especially during the middle of the day. A nice treat.

No comments: